Dieter Rams, Terence Conran & Deyan Sudjic, London 2009
At the opening of Less and More at the Design Museum.
This picture was taken at the Dieter Rams retrospective, Less and More, at the Design Museum. Herr Rams was at the German firm Braun for 40 years from 1955 to 1995, designing over 500 products. He was there in person, neat and dapper in a blue blazer. On the welcoming committee was Sir Terence Conran, who told how the Rolling Stones, followed by a phalanx of fans, once came into Habitat and bought up the entire stock of Braun audio equipment. Rams spoke warmly of awards from Britain that had fostered his early career, including election as an Honorary Royal Designer for Industry. RDIs are a very select band - there are only 200 at any one time. No-one has ever bettered Rams' ten commandments of good design:
1. Good design is innovative.
2. Good design makes a product useful.
3. Good design is aesthetic.
4. Good design makes a product understandable.
5. Good design is unobtrusive.
6. Good design is honest.
7. Good design is long-lasting.
8. Good design is thorough down to the last detail.
9. Good design is environmentally friendly.
10. Good design is as little design as possible.